Thursday, February 14, 2008

I LOVE HOMESCHOOLING

If you would have ask me about homeschooling anytime in the past, I was always "If God tells me to I will", but now, I am loving it! I believe God puts the desire in your heart for the things He has called you to and I am so grateful. I hope Damie is learning, but I am learning so much. I'm sure I learned some of this stuff in school, but I wasn't very interested I guess, now it fascinates me! I am doing this as sort of a record of our schooling so I can look back next year, but I also thought the few people that read our blog might like to hear what Damie is learning. This is a typical Day: He loves to listen to music while he is writing.
We read a short devotional from his Bible
We work on our memory Verse - right now we are learning Psalm 23
Math - we are working through his workbook from school - he also loves to work with a calculator and so I print out these huge problems and he does them on the calculator.
Spelling - also working through his workbook from school-He writes them a lot, we make sentences with them and we have a spelling test every Friday
Spanish - Rosetta Stone - 30 min. It is amazing to me how much he is learning and even reading in Spanish almost more than in English????
Reading - we are doing Hooked on Phonics and I am sold, his reading has rocketed since we started this program, he still gets frustrated, but he pushes through and is really getting excited about reading.
History - We are going through the 7 wonders of the world and learning about the places, people and time that surrounded them. Who knew there were so many wonders of the world, but I think we are going to do them all: Ancient, Natural and Modern Wonders of the World. We are making a lapbook out of it. We read about it on Wikipedia then we print out some pics for the lapbook and we also look it up in our ChildCraft Set (What a blessing that was - Shay comes home from school one day and said they are cleaning out the library and have a lot of free books do you want some (dumb question) yes, get them ALL! He came home with a FULL set of ChildCraft Books these are from 1965, but most of the information is still accurate and they have the best stories in them. This is such a testament of how God always provides, we were struggling with having books to read, because most everything here is in Spanish, but as always God provided!)
Science - This and Art are Damie's favorite - we were going through his science book from school (BORING!!) So I decided to let him decide what he wanted to learn about and make a lapbook. He has always been fascinated with Eagles, so we are learning about the Bald Eagle and making this Lapbook.
Art - This changes from week to week - So far we have made a city, a 3-D box (he wrote a story to go along with it. He cut out a picture of Shay's face and glued it to the scuba diver-how sweet!)
We also have made a game - it is a game we saw an old man playing in Downtown San Jose and we loved it. So sometimes this goes with what we are learning and sometimes it's just for fun!

Shay had a friend tell him one time that he always wanted to do a pull up and so he just started trying one a day until he could do it and then would do more and more. So Damie is doing that he is trying a pull up a day.

He is also responsible for water the flowers everyday since we are in the dry season.

Shay is also reading a chapter from the Narnia series to the kids before bed each night - We finished the Magician's Nephew and now are on The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

Sierra and I are reading Little House in the Big Woods and doing this Lapbook - I am excited about this too! I never really liked Little House on the Prairie (sorry Kelly) but reading the book is really changing my mind, to bad they don't show Little House on the Prairie in Costa Rica.??

Well that's our homeschooling - next year when there are 3 to home school I'm sure it will be a little different.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Gwyn,

It all sounds so beautiful!!! What's wrong with you - you didn't like Little House on the Prairie? You're brain must be fried from Beetlejuice. Don't worry - God is well able!!!

I love the history topic. Very creative. I don't know what the different wonders are I guess. I didn't even realize there were different ones??? Maybe we will have to follow suit one day. We are still on our Abraham Lincoln study with Emily. It's going good. She made a birthday cake for his birthday.

I am so proud of you. It is such a joy to watch you all.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO SAY EXCEPT "PRAISE THE LORD FOR ANSWERED PRAYER" I AM SO PROUD OF BOTH DAMIE AND GWYN YOU ARE BOTH DOING AN OUTSTANDING JOB
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK
LOVE YOU BOTH SO MUCH
GRAMMY SUGAR

Anonymous said...

DAMIE GRAMPA IS VERY VERY PROUD OF YOU TOO I JUST FORGOT TO SIGN HIS NAME I'LL BE IN TROUBLE IF I DON'T CORRECT THAT
WE LOVE YOU KEEP UP THE GOOD JOB
GRAMPA AND GRAMMY SUGAR

The McClain's said...

Reading your blogs makes me so excited to be able to start with the kids :) I am really getting excited about being able to be with them again but also to be able to be inthis type of teaching environment all the time. I love reading about how it is going with Damie! Thanks, Gwyn!

PS: I missed you today...

Love,.
Brooke :)