Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Shared Trauma - Good-bye to Billy and Laurie



I've always heard of how soldiers or victims of natural disasters are often bound together in deep friendships by their having shared a stressful situation. This phenomenon has now become personal to me! The stress of leaving all, moving your family to another country and breaking through the language barrier for example; not to mention all the other stresses of life in general are shared by all of the students here at school. But, for me one couple in particular found their way deeply into my heart.
Billy and Laurie Drum are wonderful people from the Great "country" of Texas. They graduated after 2 trimesters and will be serving the Lord in Peru after 6 weeks in Texas. Billy is a tall skinny teddy bear of a man that cries about as easily as I do. I must say that I love him most for teaching me to make his Mexican salsa. Laurie is everything you expect a good Texas woman to be strong, independent and highly intelligent. She and I had a break at the same time each day (2nd tri.) and we had some great talks between class. She was never afraid to tell me when I had a bad case of stupid and I greatly appreciated her for that.
They have 2 older sons Ryan and Miles and a daughter Sara who is their crown jewel. She is 4 and was in Jesse's class at school. They were totally cute together and great playmates. I have a not so secret desire that they will meet in college and fall in love. I asked Billy and Laurie how they felt about arranged marriages and they did not seem entirely opposed to the idea.
I'm not sure how life here will be without them, but God had a plan for our time together and I'm sure He has a plan for our time apart as well, but, I hope that we will be together again on this side of Glory. May the Lord bless them in all they do!

Proverbs 20:6
"Son muchos los que proclaman su lealtad, ¿pero quiĆ©n puede hallar a alguien digno de confianza?" (NVI)

"Lots of people claim to be loyal and loving, but where on earth can you find one?" (The Message Bible)


I found not one but two and I will not soon forget them! For they have carried a piece of me with them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love ya! Miss ya! Will have to catch you at school!