Saturday, March 15, 2008

THIS IS NOW!

I've lately been reading the kids to sleep at night. We read the first two and a half books of the Narnia series by C.S. Lewis until Sierra began to have bad dreams. So, I changed to the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. We finished the first book tonight and it ended in a way that left me thinking of how quickly life is moving.

"Little house in the big woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder

"She thought to herself, 'This is now.' She was glad that the cosy house, and Pa and Ma and the firelight and the music, were now. They could not be forgotten, she thought, because now is now. It can never be a long time ago."

That was the 1870's and THIS IS NOW!

We are losing many people from the group of friends that we started school with in just a few weeks. NOW will very soon be THEN. I really had no intention of letting myself grow too close to anyone. However, the effect of culture shock is sort of like a war and human nature binds you to those with whom you share difficulties. I'm certain that many of these people We will never see again this side of Heaven. However, I am glad to be able to count these quality people as my friends and I'm glad that they will have been a part of our story. We're better for sharing the adventure with them!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen brother! Similar thoughts here - didn't want to "get too close" to folks - but - what can you do?! We love your family lots, and when you are ready to dive the barrier reef outside of Honduras - you make sure you come visit :-)