Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Riding bicycles and other easy things that are really hard to learn.

Today was the first day of classes in our 2nd. trimester. My linguistics teacher is a joy to be around because she is always smiling. Today she told us that we have two choices as language learners. We can learn all the rules and regulations and depend on our text books or we can throw ourselves with abandonment out into the culture and learn to hear and speak well; which is after all what we are here for. Then she gave us the greatest illustration: You can take the risk of falling and indeed fall often but ultimately learn and enjoy the freedom of riding a bicycle OR you can walk beside your bike with a arm load of notes, text books and dictionaries that tell you how to ride the bike your PUSHING. It has occurred to me as I'm writing that I've spent most of my life living a "textbook" life afraid to throw myself to the ground enough times to learn to fly! Our journey to the mission field has been a lesson in falling and learning to get up again and again. I would like to encourage all who read this to consider where in your lives you are "pushing your bike" because your more afraid of falling than succeeding!

No comments: