Friday, July 20, 2007

torn nets, sinking ships and the blessings just keep on comming

Pastor Jamie preached last week on the "wheat and the tares (weeds). He said that blessings and adversity often grow together in our lives. Today when I read the story of Peter's great catch I was reminded that once again blessing and adversity came in the same package.

Luke 5:4-11

4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, Now go out where it is deeper, and let down your nets to catch some fish.”

5 “Master,” Simon replied, “we worked hard all last night and didn’t catch a thing. But if you say so, I’ll let the nets down again.” 6 And this time their nets were so full of fish they began to tear! 7 A shout for help brought their partners in the other boat, and soon both boats were filled with fish and on the verge of sinking.

8 When Simon Peter realized what had happened, he fell to his knees before Jesus and said, “Oh, Lord, please leave me—I’m too much of a sinner to be around you.” 9 For he was awestruck by the number of fish they had caught, as were the others with him. 10 His partners, James and John, the sons of Zebedee, were also amazed.

Jesus replied to Simon, “Don’t be afraid! From now on you’ll be fishing for people!” 11 And as soon as they landed, they left everything and followed Jesus. (highlights are mine)

How to be content is a real struggle for me. Perfectionism is an act of futility in a fallen world full of inpetfected poelpe. People just can't be right unless they give themselves away and trust in Jesus' righteousness imparted to them in faith. But righteousness still does not feed my desire to be good at everything. I am an all or nothing kind of guy and if I'm not the best I tend to lay down and give up. Parenting is therefore my greatest challenge cause most of the time I am not sufficient for the task and want to give in and go back to bed! I can't though!!!! Three little lives are dependent on my success of course that is no pressure, NOT!
Jesus told Peter to "...go out where it is deeper...". We are definitely going deeper as we get ready to move to Costa Rica and then the DR to build Restoration Ranch. Daily I feel like my boat is sinking and my nerves are stretched to the breaking point. Lord Jesus help us to keep our eyes on the "catch". Only then can we have joy in the midst of this adversity. Of cource they ended up with a bigger vision that made to catch pale in significants because the Bible says they left it to follow Jesus!

No comments: